A monthly giving program is a recurring donation program where donors can automatically donate a specific amount to your organization on a monthly basis. Such regular donation plans help your organization generate a steady stream of financial support so that you can fulfill your vision and mission more effectively.
Mobile Checkout (currently in beta!)
The new Shelterpay Monthly Giving Program is built right into our popular mobile checkout feature, which makes it easy for donors to join! When your adopters and other customers go through mobile checkout, they will have the option to give once or give monthly. The monthly giving levels available are $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200.
When a donor chooses to give monthly:
- The original transaction will include a transaction memo to notify you of this: "Shelterpay Monthly Giving Program: New $__ subscription started."
- The original transaction will not include the actual donation amount. Instead, a separate transaction will be created for their first donation payment.
- Their donation will recur automatically on the same day each month, and a new transaction will be created for each successful donation payment.
You will be able to view all of your Shelterpay Monthly Giving Program participants in your Stripe account at any time, including a history of their processed donation payments.
The total processing fee for this program is 5% for most organizations:
- 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction Stripe fee (unless your organization has a different rate)
- 2.1% Shelterluv application fee (covers backend management of this program)
These higher fees only apply to recurring donations. The processing fees for recurring donation transactions are higher than all other mobile checkout transactions because of the ongoing costs for Shelterluv to support and maintain the Monthly Giving Program over the duration of the recurring donation (many months or years). These ongoing costs include those associated with automatically charging cards each month, handling failed payments and expired cards, messaging donors of failed payments and expired cards, maintaining a portal for donors to update their credit card or change the details of their donation, and providing customer support for these donors for any questions they may have.