Please note that the Shelterluv integration with PetLink works differently than auto-uploads using FTP credentials. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To set up Petlink:
If you already have a Petlink account, skip to step 5.
- Visit www.petlink.net (that's .net, not .com).
- Select Register from the navigation bar at the top of the page, then select Register Shelter/Rescue.
- Fill out the required information. Be sure to select ShelterLuv as your software.
- You will receive an email confirmation when your facility's PetLink account is activated.
- You must generate an API key. You can find out how to do this by clicking the following link: How do I Generate My API Key?
- Send the shelter API information to email@example.com. You’ll receive an email from PetLink once the automated registration is activated.
What types of microchips are uploaded?
The automatic registration of the microchips is only intended for prepaid PetLink microchips. If you want to register a microchip from another company, you can do so for a one-time fee of $9.99/pet. This registration has to be done manually on the petlink.net website and will not be processed via the automatic registration.
When do chips get uploaded?
Microchips will be automatically registered only on the following outcome events*:
- Return to Owner
*These events will be included in auto-uploads even if their intake subtypes are configured not to count towards reporting.
Additionally, PetLink will only upload the animal if:
- The microchip number starts with 981
- The animal has a Person record assigned (this will be used as owner)
When you enable the integration, Petlink will fetch the previous 90 days of registration data from Shelterluv. This integration is only designed to enroll PetLink microchips.
Will I receive a notification or report of which microchips are uploaded?
Yes. If any microchips were not registered, you will also receive an explanation as to why.
Will microchips that have already been registered duplicate?
If the microchip is already registered and the email address in PetLink matches what you provided, then there is no further action necessary.
Will I easily be able track which microchips still need to be registered?
If you purchase the PetLink microchips directly from PetLink, they can provide you with a chip list so you can compare against your Shelterluv data.
What animal information will be included in the upload?
- Primary color
What if an animal has multiple microchips?
If an animal has more than one microchip, only the most recently added chip that begins with '981' will be uploaded, so you will need to manually register the other chip(s) through your registry account. (The other option is to wait a day before adding subsequent chips.)
When an animal has more than one microchip implanted, none of the chips are considered the "primary" because any one of them could be picked up by a universal microchip scanner first. This means it is important that each chip's registration is kept up-to-date.
What information is being pulled for uploads?
The microchip is registered using information in the pet owner's record.
- Full Name
- Street Address
- Email address
- Phone number
- If two phone numbers are on file, both will be included