To enable auto-uploads to the 24Petwatch Registry, navigate to your gear icon > Configuration > Uploads and Integrations > Microchip Registries.
The integration section will still be listed as Found Animals.
You must purchase bulk microchips from 24Petwatch to take advantage of their auto-upload integration.
To set up 24Petwatch Registry:
FTP Server: ftp.24pet.com
FTP Username/Password: Please email the 24Petwatch team at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a request for FTP credentials and include your group name, chip provider, and My24Pet.com account email.
Please note that these FTP credentials are NOT the same as your organization's Found.org account, and your my24pet.com email address has to match the Transfer Point Of Contact email address you've configured in Shelterluv.
Once your request has been received, the 24Petwatch team will connect with you on your group's account and settings to ensure an auto-batch upload connection can be set up correctly.
To test the connection after entering the credentials, make sure the integration is set to "Auto upload enabled" and then click the blue "Save" button. You will see a pop-up with the results of the connection test. Be sure to switch the integration back to "Auto upload disabled" after the test if you have not gone live with Shelterluv yet.
If you are importing historical data, we recommend enabling this 3 days after your import is complete. This is because we will auto-upload all chips that were added in the 3 days prior to the date they were enabled, and it may cause your older adopters some confusion if their pets' microchips get registered to Found Animals.
How often do uploads run?
Auto-uploads for the 24Petwatch Registry run overnight every night. If you are testing to see if you have the correct credentials entered, you should be able to verify the next morning. However, we sometimes hear about processing times of up to 48 hours on the microchip registries' side; you can always contact them directly to verify that they are working to process your files.
When auto-uploads are first enabled, we only upload chips that were added in the 3 days prior to the date they were enabled. Any chips that were added more than three days prior should be manually registered.
What types of microchips are uploaded?
24Petwatch can register any brand of microchip. If you want to also update the registration with the original microchip issuer, you are welcome to, but it is not always necessary because the AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup tool exists.
When do chips get uploaded?
Intakes and animals in custody:
- If a chip is added to the animal's record, either at the point of intaking or via the animal's record while in your custody, it will be included in the upload.
- If an animal is already in your custody and you need to update/edit their microchip, you should delete the current microchip and then select the "Add Microchip" button. Once you add the new microchip, this will be included in the next upload.
You'll need to completely delete the wrong microchip from the animal's record, simply editing the existing microchip numbers in the field won't trigger the new number to be included in the next upload.
- When an animal with a chip is adopted, returned to owner, or serviced out to a person, the chip will be uploaded.
- At this point the registration will be transferred to the pet owner.
- The pet owner will receive an email confirmation once their registration is processed by the microchip registry.
- If the chip is added or updated within 3 days of the outcome, including the day of the outcome, it will still be uploaded with the latest change.
- Example: If outcome date is on January 1st, then changes up until January 3rd will be reflected in uploads.
Events that do not trigger an automatic registration:
- Pre-intake animals with microchips on their records. The chip will be uploaded only once the animal's intake is completed.
- Animals that are re-intaken with a microchip already on their record, e.g. an adopted animal with a registered microchip being returned. However, once the animal is outcomed again, the chip will be re-registered to the new owner.
- Transfer outcomes and service outcomes to a partner will not register to the partner.
- Custody changes (owner to owner transfer or owner to partner transfer from the Caretaker tab).
- Chips that are added or updated after the 3-day period, will not be uploaded.
How do I prevent stray animals or found pets from being auto-uploaded?
If you take in stray animals or provide assistance with found pets, you may want to exclude animals in the shelter from auto-uploads so that the chip remains registered to the owner.
If you enable the "Exclude animals in shelter from auto-uploads" option (don't forget to hit the blue "Save"), then animals will not be registered until one of these qualifying events happens:
- Foster Out - the chip will be registered to your organization
- Adoption/Return to Owner/Service Out to a person - the chip will be registered to the owner
What if an animal has multiple microchips?
If an animal has more than one microchip, only the most recently added chip will be uploaded, so you will need to manually register the other chip(s) through your registry account. (The other option is to wait a day before adding subsequent chips.)
When an animal has more than one microchip implanted, none of the chips are considered the "primary" because any one of them could be picked up by a universal microchip scanner first. This means it is important that each chip's registration is kept up-to-date.
What information is being pulled for uploads?
Intakes and animals in custody:
The microchip is registered using the information in the "My Organization" section of General Shelter Configurations.
- Shelter Name
- Street Address
- Transfer Point of Contact's email address
- Transfer Point of Contact's phone number
The microchip is registered using the information in the pet owner's record.
- Full Name
- Street Address
- Email address
- Phone number
- If two phone numbers are on file, both will be included
- Only phone numbers with an associated phone type will be included