Processing credit cards through Shelterluv allows your rescue or shelter to do away with a separate card reader and its related hardware, and instead, process payments on the adopter's own phone (via a text message). You can see more of how this works in this video.
To start processing credit cards through Shelterluv, there are a few steps you need to take. Shelterluv uses a service called Stripe to process credit cards on your behalf; it handles all matters of PCI compliance and transfers money directly to your bank. Shelterluv is a Stripe Verified Partner.
A Stripe account needs to be set up for your organization in order to receive the proceeds from your credit card transactions into your bank account.
To set up or link an existing Stripe account
Navigate to the onboarding page (www.shelterluv.com/shelter-onboard), click the "Begin Setup" button, and enter the email address of the person who is responsible for this part of your organization (someone with access to your organization's bank account information, for example).
After you submit the appropriate email address, that address will receive an email from Stripe that lays out instructions of how to set up an account.
- New to Stripe? In order to complete this process you'll need information like EIN, business address, and bank account numbers so please have that handy before starting. If your organization is a 501c3, be sure to ask for the non-profit rate when setting up your account.
- Have an existing Stripe account? The email will give you instructions on how to link your Stripe account to Shelterluv.
Shortly after your Stripe account is all set up and ready to go, credit card processing will be enabled in your shelter. You'll receive an email notifying you of when it is ready to start using.
Organizations who enable credit card processing also have access to special offers for your adopters. With our large customer base, Shelterluv was uniquely positioned to negotiate better discounts than individual organizations would be able to get, so we decided to use that power to offer your adopters the products and services they already want - and that will help decrease your adoption return rates!
The special offer currently included is:
- A free Chewy.com coupon to pet owners in the Stripe checkout flow for 30% off their first autoship order (we do not automatically share the adopter's info with Chewy.com).
This special offer will be sent out automatically to adopters after checkout in a separate email (there may be 1-5 minute delay).
Not seeing this offer in your credit card checkout process? Please contact us here.
- We can update the donation page for you to display dog-only, cat-only, or generic animal donation descriptions. The default version will display a combination of both cat and dog donation descriptions. Let us know if you'd like your donation page to be made dog or cat only by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stripe charges a separate fee of 2.9% + $0.30 transaction fee (a lower rate may be able to be negotiated with Stripe depending on volume, please inquire with them directly).
- You should not set up two accounts with Stripe as they may suggest. Shelterluv can only integrate with one account at the moment.
- A nominal 0.5% fee is assessed by Shelterluv to cover the costs of setting up and maintaining the connection to Stripe; this is automatically deducted from each transaction.
- There will always be an option at checkout to use a separate credit card reader if you'd like to continue to use that method (just select "use credit card reader" if you are not using Stripe during checkout instead of texting the checkout or selecting "customer has no phone").