This article will walk you through how to process any type of transaction in Shelterluv, whether it's an adoption, donation, or something else. We also have a video here that walks through this checkout process.
First, you need to add the appropriate animals or items to a shopping cart for the appropriate person.
- An animal for adoption can be added to a cart by going to the person's record and the Animals tab, then clicking "Add Animal" and choosing "Adopt". From there, you'll choose the appropriate animal from a list of all adoptable animals and click "Checkout".
- ALL other types of purchases can be started from the Purchases tab of a person's record. Click "New Purchase", and then you'll see a list of possible items to add to a shopping cart for that person. Click "Add to Cart" for each item you'd like to add and then "Checkout".
Once you have the correct items in the shopping cart for the correct person, you'll be given options corresponding to how the person plans to pay for the transaction - either credit card/debit or cash/check.
Credit Card/Debit Card Payments
After you click the “Pay with Credit or Debit Card” button, you’ll see a few different pop-ups. These pop-ups can be configured by your shelter admin in Configuration. They can even be hidden if they don't make sense for your organization's checkout process.
If the transaction involves an adoption, the first pop-up asks a few questions about the adoption itself. The second pop-up asks for the cash drawer involved (where the transaction is taking place). The third pop-up asks if there is a donation to add to the transaction.
The last pop-up you will see has a box with a phone number. This phone number should correspond to the number the person has listed on their record in Shelterluv. This pop-up is asking how you would like to go forward with the person reviewing and signing any documents and giving their credit/debit card information.
So you have 3 options of how the person can complete the transaction from here. You can:
1. Send the rest of the checkout flow to the person’s phone by clicking the "Send" button. From their phone, they will be able to sign any contracts and fill out their credit card information. This process uses Shelterluv's integrated credit card processor, Stripe.
Note: When processing a credit card transaction through Shelterluv/Stripe, the texted checkout link will not expire unless the shopping cart is deleted or edited.
Please use this script when confirming receipt of a text message through Shelterluv:
Adopter: “Yes, that would be great”
Adoption counselor: “Great, we’ll send a confirmation message to the phone number you provided here shortly''
2. Have the adopter sign any contracts and fill out their credit card information on your screen, instead of their phone by clicking "Customer has no phone". This option can be used if the person doesn’t have a phone or it has really outdated software, or the person just doesn’t want to receive it on their phone. This flow will also use Shelterluv's credit card processor.
3. Use a separate credit card reader by clicking "Use credit card reader". If you choose this third option, from there you'll be asked whether you want the person to review and sign relevant documents digitally or using paper copies. From there, this flow will be the same one you'll use for cash/check described below, and in this article.
For example, let's go through the 2nd option of customer has no phone. (Note: this same flow on the customer's phone will look and work exactly the same.) After clicking "Customer has no phone", you give the screen to the adopter, whether it’s on a computer or tablet, and have them complete the following steps:
- Confirm the animal they’re adopting (if no animals involved in the transaction, this step will be skipped).
- Agree to any contracts and/or disclaimers that you have set up (if none, this step will be skipped).
- Give their digital signature and agree to terms and conditions.
- Enter their credit card information.
Once they’ve completed this page, they’ve finished the transaction on their side.
After the person completes the transaction, you will now see that the transaction is in your Shopping Cart Manager. You can see that this transaction has been completed by the adopter, and you can now click "Deliver documents".
This will give you a pop-up that asks you how you'd like to deliver any documents to the adopter, like receipts, adoption contracts, medical history, etc. You can deliver to them either by printing or emailing. Printing will open new tabs for each document. And you’re done!
Cash / Check / Any other payment types (including non Stripe credit card transactions)
If the person would like to checkout using cash, check, gift card, voucher, or via credit card if you do not use our integrated processor Stripe, click the “Pay with Cash or Check” button.
You'll first see a few pop-ups that ask about the adoption counselor (if the transaction involves an adoption), cash drawer, and adding a donation. These pop-ups can be configured to hide or display in Configuration by your shelter admin.
The last pop-up you'll see is for choosing either paper or digital checkout. Paper or digital here is really referring to the way that the adopter will sign the adoption contract, either on paper outside of Shelterluv or digitally on your computer or tablet screen.
Whether you capture signatures digitally or on paper, you end up at this screen that lists the transaction information. At this step, YOU ARE NOT DONE. You still need to enter how exactly this person paid. Click on the field near the bottom that says “Choose Payment Options.” Choose which payment type is being used, and then complete the specific information it asks for.
IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU'RE USING A SEPARATE CARD READER: If you are processing a credit card and choose to use a card reader, you will see this same digital vs. paper flow and then land on this same cart page. If you’ve come to this page that way, you MUST still complete the checkout using the “Choose Payment Options” field and entering the last 4 digits of the card. This is to help tie this transaction in Shelterluv to the transaction with your credit card processor for reporting purposes. Adding those last 4 digits here does NOT mean we’ve processed the card for you. You need to use your separate card reader, and then just give Shelterluv a reference for the transaction. Take a look at this article for more information and a video walk through of this process.
After you’ve submitted the payment and clicked “Complete Transaction,” you’ll get the same pop-up to deliver documents to the person, either by printing or emailing to them.